It has been said that we are spirit having a human experience. We seek meaning in our lives and we need to know that we matter, that we belong. We look for tools and moments when we feel deeply touched within, a transcendent experience when we inhabit out humanity completely. Our need for insight and validation is ever present; we want to know how we are doing in terms of the choices we make. We want to project ourselves into our futures to discover where we are heading and what pitfalls lie ahead. We want assurance that we are fulfilling our purpose yet more often than not, we are seeking a ‘quick fix’.
Tarot as a tool mirrors our unconscious – The Tarot is a mirror in which universal patterns and icons are reflected. Our unconscious is reflected back to us through the visuals which have the ability to transport us to other dimensions, enhance our focus and assist us to live consciously with focus and intent.
The art of tarot is rewarding; we select our card with a purpose and as we weave our way through the archetype, story or visual, we resonate with the energy that arises – it is up to us what we do with the information perceived. Here are some tips and exercises to help you discover tarot and work with individual cards for self analysis and empowerment.
Location, location, location
It is best to conduct this meditation/visualisation where you will be undisturbed.
- Find a quiet place where you can be alone and undisturbed.
- Sit comfortably with your spine straight.
- Close your eyes and become aware of your surroundings,
- Breathe deeply and uniformly. IN through the nose and OUT through the mouth. Let stress and tension go with each out breath. Continue to do this until you feel relaxed.
- Feel your body connected to the earth.
- Listen to your heart beat and as you slowly breathe in and out – retreat to your still point.
Pick a Card, Any Card
There are a variety of ways of doing this. See my previous blog http://wp.me/p25KRU-2p
Begin the Journey
- Begin by building your inner vision of the geography of the card selected.
- Listen to the sounds, smell the foliage.
- Feel the environment around you.
- Establish the time of day.
- Become aware of the central figure.
- Visualise yourself moving across the terrain towards the figure. Do not be afraid to approach, these are your guides.
- Introduce yourself and begin your dialogue.
- State your purpose. “I am accepting your invitation to …” “I am ready to fulfil …”; “I am seeking guidance on …”; “How may I serve … ?” etc.
- Allow time for a response.
- Be aware of any images, thoughts or sensations that arise.
- Take a moment to explore these images or sensations.
Seeking answers, purpose
- When you are ready continue your dialogue.
- Again allow time and space for a response.
- Explore images or sensations that arise.
- When you are ready ask your next question.
- Follow this procedure until you feel you have the answers and insights to manifest the journey.
- You may accept an invitation to travel with the guide, to explore deeper levels of the energy arising – follow your instinct and intuition.
It is very important that once you feel you would like to return to your conscious self that you close the meditation/visualisation. If you dont do this you may end up with a sense of disconnection or even a headache.
- Show gratitude for the assistance.
- If you would like to leave a token of appreciation or to let go of an issue, do so.
- Become aware of time passed,
- move across the terrain to your original position where you started your journey.
- Still your awareness of the inner realms and sit in silence before returning to the outer world.
- You may be aware of faint echoes of your journey, allow these to arise and dissipate.
- Once again feel the earth beneath your body, feel your heart beating and as you breathe deeply become aware of your surroundings.
- Slowly open your eyes if closed.
- Stand and stretch.
Keeping a record
- When we are on a journey it is helpful to keep a journal of your cards, the experience or matters/issues that arose.
- Write down anything that you feel you need to take notice of and work on.
- Be conscious of the inner knowledge you have gained.
- Manifest this information into your daily routine.